Thursday, April 14, 2011

Toemageddon



"You're all aware that nail polish comes off, right?" - Jon Stewart


I truly cannot believe the commotion over the J. Crew ad featuring Jenna Lyons (J. Crew's president and creative director) and her young son where *GASP* he has painted toenails.  I don't usually get too opinionated on this blog, but this story has left me with such a sinking feeling in my gut.  Are little boys really not allowed to play around anymore? This seems so innocent and playful, to have it judged and picked apart by news sources just feels so wrong. I don't have children but I imagine that if my son wanted to play around with girly things, who would I be to deny him that if it makes him happy?


What do you think about this story?  Did you find the idea of a boy with painted nails offensive?


(If you're having issues with the above video, you can see it here)

11 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing this.
    love jon stewart and his perfectly articulate way of pointing out the ridiculous!

    http://foralifeinspired.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you! I find it really disheartening ever time there is a news story that seems to blow something so innocent out of proportion. I remember a similar one a couple years ago about a boy playing with a baby doll, the horror!! Anyway thanks for sharing, sometimes it's good to vent :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! I think it's such a non-story. The hyperbolic levels of mass hysteria this non-event has raised in the media just leaves me scratching my head. And also a little sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i couldn't watch the video (US only) but i read the link & oh my god! 'celebrating transgendered children' really? that photo of the mother playing with her son is so loving & charming, i can't imagine how anyone could do anything but smile at that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know! So beyond ridiculous! It's honestly really sad that people can get so worked up over some pink nail polish. RIDICULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i actually heard some idiot say this yesterday:
    "did you know jcrew is making nail polish for boys now?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. when my little bro was 3 he begggged for a little mermaid doll because i had one. i dont think its that big a deal...but i dont think id do it if i had a son.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is ridiculous. J. Crew makes some of the most fashionable and tasteful clothing on the market right now. If Jenna's son wants to paint his toenails, then let him. He's just a kid, let it be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yeah, i feel the same way! silliness

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that boys with painted nails are cool! and I don't understand that fuss about it...instead they should worry more for all the really nasty stuff that are going on in the world!
    So allow me to say: "sod it and YAY for little boys with painted nails" : )))

    ReplyDelete
  11. I felt the same way after hearing about that controversy. My little brother played with baby dolls and dressed up in girl clothes when he was younger...because he had two older sisters who made him;) Later on in life when he came out to everyone he made sure to tell my sister and I (jokingly) that it wasn't because we painted his nails and made him dress up in dresses - you are who you are, pink nail polish or not! I say little boys can rock whatever nail polish they want and little girls can play with Tonka trucks - let's all live a little and stop worrying about what other people are up to:)

    ReplyDelete